Jasmyn Burks
Mrs. Welhelmus
AP English Language
13 August 2013
Playing
it Safe
When
reading Sophie's World, Jostein Gaarder made my head spin with new
ideas and topics I never imagined to know before. There were many
philosophers and belief systems that I disagreed with. Though, in a
way, I understood where they were coming from. When reading, I got a
good insight on the mind set of these philosophers during different
periods throughout time. Whether the philosopher was right or wrong,
they used their curious minds to figure out some reason in this
bizarre world, and I admire that.
One of
the philosophers I disagreed with was Aristotle. His views on women
were unintelligent. I understand he was influenced by the era he was
born in. It was almost normal to disrespect women and to treat them
like objects instead of human beings, so it is only expected of
Aristotle to think that women were “unfinished”. Aristotle was a
bright man, but he did not look to much into the reproductive system
and how genes work. He thought that all the characteristics were in
the male sperm, and that is incorrect.
Another
philosopher that I did not necessary agree with, but did not disagree
with either, was the Big Bang theory. This topic is confusing to
think about, but it is also the only proof we have with reason and
science. I am a Christian and believe that God created everything and
everyone. I strongly believe in my religion but science could be
right with the theory that the Universe started with a big bang.
Though, I believe that God made all this happen.
I
believe that I am climbing up the rabbits fur, trying to find a way
out of this habitual world. I know that I am used to the world that I
live in and sometimes try not to think about confusing topics before
that were talked about in this book. Though, that is not very easy
and I find that I do think like the philosophers. Though, by the time
I get to the top of the rabbits fur, I usually climb right back down.
You could say that I am stuck in between. I want to learn about new
things and explore the philosophical way of the world, but then I
get confused and scared about the topics that are being discussed. I
guess I like playing it safe, and do not want to think about those
kind of questions that the philosophers were bringing up. So for now,
I will just climb right back up the rabbits fur and hope and pray
that I stay there.
No comments:
Post a Comment